Subject Guide Link in BlackBoard
The Subject Guide link in the Course Menu of all Blackboard courses automatically opens a new web page, created by a librarian, containing links to databases, electronic journals and books, print sources, and online research collections for your course discipline.
- If a librarian has a created a page specific for your course, the Subject Guide link will go the course-specific page.
- If there is not a course specific page, then the link will open the discipline specific page (for example, a PSYC listed course will open the Psychology Subject Guide).
- If the course is cross-listed, the Subject Guide that will generally open the guide associated with the listed parent course or, if available, a course specific page.
- If you are interested in a specialized Course Page, please contact your Subject Librarian to request one.
Adding a Librarian to the Course
By adding the librarian to a class as course builder or instructor, the librarian can interact with your students in a variety of ways:
- Add feedback or pre- and post-test surveys to tailor the library instruction class to the students' needs and asses its' effectiveness.
- Add selected content, such as research related links, tutorials and research tips, directly to areas of the course menu. This can be very useful if the course does not have a course page or a suitable Subject Guide page.
- Help students with research-related threads and discussions in Discussion Boards.
- Their email address becomes immediately available to students within Blackboard, making it possible for students to contact them easily for one-on-one help. Librarians can use the email feature to follow-up questions raised during the library session.
Depending on what course role is assigned to the Librarian, their abilities to interact with the students will be different, For more information on the abilities assigned to different course roles, please Blackboard Help: Course Help.
The Libraries uses Blackboard to host electronic Course Reserves. For more information, please see Faculty Instructor Course Reserve Information.
Library Online Tutorials
If students enroll in the Library Organization in Blackboard in order to take the Libraries' Online Tutorials, then their participation in the quizzes will recorded. The student will also receive a confirmation certificate, available for printing.
More information is available on the Libraries Tutorial page.
607-205-8173 (Text Reference)
607-777-2345 (Research Help Phone)