How To: Bloomberg Terminal: Home
Bloomberg in Bartle Library
- The Libraries' Bloomberg terminal is located in Bartle Library, on the first floor, in the Government Documents Room. This room is at the end of the Reference area, to the far left of the Bartle Research Help Desk. There are other Bloomberg terminals available in the Zurack Trading Room of the School of Management, but these terminals are restricted to Management students and faculty.
- You will need to register (create an account) the first time that you use the terminal. Registration is easy, but may take up to ten minutes or so. Be sure to have a cell phone, as the company will text you a password during the registration. Use of the terminal is restricted to Binghamton University students, faculty and staff. Your registration can be used on any of the Bloomberg terminals on campus.
- The Bloomberg terminal is extremely popular during the Fall and Spring semesters. There is a reservation system for the terminal if you want to assure yourself a specific time period.
- Hierarchical nature of information, but not "main" menu.
- Each market is its own "silo."
- With use of a command, you can jump from silo to silo.
Learning how to put a command together in Bloomberg is similar to learning another language. The example below provides the basic structure of a command.
Functions of Interest
|Bloomberg Market Concepts 8-hour training course covering 70 functions across equities, fixed income, economics, and currencies||Bloomberg resource center for quick guides on market sectors and include top functions|
|for industry analysis covering a number of industries such as pharma, energy, financials, etc.||Periodic news and updates from Bloomberg on economics, investing, deals, and regulation.|
|the Bloomberg message system||to retrieve Help desk messages|
|to get news from around the world updated constantly and can be filtered by topic, language, and date||to view job listings|
|for key rates||world equity indices lists the benchmark indices by geography|
|Equity screening||Bond Search|
|Events calendar||for new issues|
|League tables||Bloomberg Help and Learning for training on launchpad, Excel API, and specific markets|
|find upcoming and past economic releases||for world economic releases|
|Global commodity prices & data||Foreign exchange rates|
Bloomberg help is available via email. Hit the green key twice and a window will open with an option to type in your question and send it to a Bloomberg support specialist.