Users can take advantage of the mapping capabilities in PolicyMap by uploading their own data points for use. Data uploaded must include:
- A valid street address (complete with 5 digit zip) OR latitude / longitude
- If you have zip+4, PolicyMap can not support the file. You will need to either adjust the zip to 5 digits, or as you upload the data, tell it to read the zip code as a "number" and not a zip code. It will then place the data on the map according to latitude /longitude.
- Be saved as a .csv file
- Only have one worksheet per file.
- Contains less then 5000 rows. If the dataset is larger, please save into two or more separate files.
- Instead of uploaded spreadsheets, you have option of adding Data Points directly onto a map.
To get started:
- Select the "Uploaded Data" option.
- Select the Spreadsheet option
- Name your data points. Choose a name that is informative, especially if you want to share the data with all users of the Binghamton University Libraries' account.
- Select the option to share the data. If want sole access to the data, contact PolicyMap about an individual account.
- Import your spreadsheet.
- You will be notified if any adjustments need to be made to your spreadsheet. Once the upload is complete, a green circle to the far left indicates that row was accepted, red indicates that there was a problem.
- Adjust the spreadsheet, if needed, and re-upload to correct any errors.
- Click Save.
- Data uploaded by Binghamton University users will be available under the "Upload Data" tab.