Full text and page images of patents issued since 1976 are available; page images of patents issued since 1790 are also included. Users can search for patents by patent number, inventor name, assignee name, classification code, and many other indexed fields. USPTO also maintains a database of patent applications filed since March 15, 2001.
In the USPTO database, full text patents are in HTML format and are readable in any Web browser; page images are in TIFF format and require a plugin that allows for viewing of TIFF image files. Click here for more information on images of patents.
Useful links from USPTO:
General Information Concerning Patents
How to Search (7 Step Strategy)
Patent and Trademark Depository Library Program (PTDLP)
Search USPTO Patent Database
The PTDLP libraries have patents, reference works, aids for searching, plus knowledgeable and experienced staff to assist with searches. A thorough search can take several hours to several days.
- Cambia Patent Lens (tm) is a free full-text patent search database containing more than 8 million patents and applications worldwide.
- espacenet searches titles and some abstracts of over 60 million patents from more than 80 countries. This is a service of the European Patent Office.
- Free Patents Online is a free patent database with advance search capabilities, exportation of bibliographic information, high-quality PDF format, citation references, and XML data feeds.
- Google Patent Search with more than 7 million U.S. patents, provides patent information (abstract, drawings, description, and claims) as well as downloadable PDF files, a link to USPTO file, and citation and reference links.
- Intellectual Property Digital Library is an online Intellectual Property (IP) library providing data on patents, trademarks, industrial designs, and other IP information worldwide. This is a service of the United Nation’s World Intellectual Property Organization.