SUNY Libraries will generally allow the use of materials, print and electronic, on-site to the public. Before you go, be sure to check with the library in question for any specific policies & procedures.
- Most public libraries offer some databases and electronic journals, although some in NYS maybe limited to the NYS Novel collection.
- In order to check out books or access electronic resources from home, you have to have card for that library or library system.
- Some public libraries may also allow you to obtain items through Inter-Library Loan, Check with your local branch for policies and procedures.
- To find your local public library, see NOVELNY: Public Libraries in NYS
Binghamton University Libraries
Resources marked or are restricted to current BU students, employees and faculty. Alumni, guest, volunteer and community users are not given access to subscribed library resources from off-campus.
The Libraries provides access to freely available research database through its Databases by Title link for non-affiliated users for off-campus access.
Community members and alumni can access any BU-only resources by coming into one of the Libraries and asking for Guest Computer Access.
See the appropriate page under Library Services for more information.
New York State Library
NYSL offers two library cards:
- NYSL R Card - New York State Library Resident Borrowers' card. All residents of NYS, 18 years and older, are eligible for a NYS Library R card. Please see New York State Residents for instructions.
- NYSL P Card - New York State Library Borrower's card. Government employees of NYS (current employees or retired), attorneys and physicians in NYS, and NYS municipal employees are eligible for a NYS Library P Card. Please see NYS Library's Borrower Card for instructions.
New York Public Library
All NYS residents are eligible for a NYPL library card. Although you can apply for the card online, you will have to present the card to one of the NYPL system libraries' in person before accessing their databases from off-site.
For a list of databases available at NYPL, please see Articles & Databases. Once your card is fully active, you will be able to search all databases with a icon from home. Resources marked with , as well as all resources in the NYPL Digital Gallery, are available to anyone, even without a NYPL card.
607-205-8173 (Text Reference)
607-777-2345 (Research Help Phone)